Frequently Asked Questions
What does the church believe in?
The church confesses the faith using any of the three ecumenical Creeds: The Apostle’s Creed, the Nicene Creed, or the Athanasian Creed:
- We believe in God the Father, maker of heaven and earth, and all of the things visible and invisible.
- We believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God.
- We believe that Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary, was crucified, died and was buried. On the third day Jesus rose again.
- We believe that Jesus has ascended to heaven and will come again to judge the living and the dead.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sin; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting.
Can I take communion if I come to Christus Victor?
If you are baptized and wish to come forward to take communion, you are welcome to come to the Lord’s Supper at Christus Victor. The invitation comes from God. We believe that the bread and wine truly become the body and blood of Christ given for us. Those who do not wish to receive communion or children who have not made their first communion may come forward for a blessing.
If I was baptized in another church would I have to be baptized again at Christus Victor?
No, Christian baptism is done once and lasts forever. Baptism in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit takes place in most mainline churches. When we are baptized it is into the body of Christ throughout the world and in all of its expressions, not in a particular denomination.
Do I have to be a member to worship and participate in the ministries at Christus Victor?
We welcome participation from all people, whether they are members or not. We require membership to serve on Council or Leadership Boards and to vote at congregational meetings. But anyone may participate in our other ministries. And certainly worship is open to all.